The History of Northminster Presbyterian Church
The Early Days
Northminster Presbyterian was created in 1961 after the pastor of Collegiate Presbyterian Church initiated the idea. He saw an emerging need to serve people in northeast Ames, which was growing rapidly.
Two members of Collegiate contributed $500 each toward the purchase of land east of the present Ames High School. With the support of North Central Iowa Presbytery, six couples, members of Collegiate Presbyterian Church, joined the founding pastor, Paul Parker, in planning. A manse chapel was completed at 1925 Hunziker Drive. One hundred thirty-one attended the first worship on October 8, 1961.
The pastor and members soon began plans for a church building. The building committee chose an architect and began plans for the church building at 1416 20th Street. This building and sanctuary, now called the Founders Hall is still in use today for special activities and Maunday Thursday services.
A New Beginning
The first service in the new Northminster Church was held January 5, 1964. What joy! No more Sunday School in kitchens and closets, and plenty of room for worship.
In 17 years the building was paid off. The next year, 1982, brought a new organ to the sanctuary, filling the room with music we had not heard before. The church opened its rooms for community groups.
A few years later, members began to feel pinched for space. Classrooms were crowded and there was little working space for staff. A new pastor study, office space, handicapped accessible restrooms, air conditioning and storage was added in 1986.
Building and Growing
In 1997 the process was begun to design and construct the current church building to meet the congregation’s ministry needs. The current sanctuary, an addition on the 1416 20th Street site, was dedicated in August, 2001. This addition doubled the worship and Christian Education space. In addition, various community groups are able to utilize the space, including a before and after school children’s child care program, a Korean church congregation, and other community groups.
Mortgage Paid Off
In 2016, the congregation made a special effort to pay off the building mortgage. By the end of 2018, their mission was accomplished. In doing so, the church has been able to expand it’s local and international mission efforts and continues to use these resources to expand the work for our Lord.